Your gateway to Canada


Immigration Newsweek

Immigration Newsweek

By Atty. Henry Moyal

Q. I just received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence and immigrant visa in my passport. I have another four weeks to enter Canada.
However, I just noticed an error on the document. I am afraid to return it to the Canadian Embassy for correction because I need to enter Canada soon and I am afraid I will not get the new COPR on time. Can I enter Canada with the errors and explain it to the officer at the port of entry?

A. It depends on the error. If the error pertains to your name or if your marital status has changed then you should not enter Canada as the port of entry officer cannot change it. Contact the Canadian Embassy. However, changes to height, eye color, date of original entry, date of last entry and address / country of residence can be made at the Point of Entry and are not required to be corrected prior to landing.

You may proceed to land with the document as-is and please advise the agent at the Port of Entry.

Attorney Henry Moyal is a certified and licensed immigration lawyer in Toronto, Ontario.
The above article is general advice only and is not intended to act as a legal document.
Send questions to Attorney Moyal by email or call 416 733 3193